South Bay: Kahoo

The last time we tried to go to Kahoo for ramen, the place was closed for a private party (the one with the scary Elvis impersonator).  Somehow, we found the courage to try again.  Thankfully, this time it was open:


The structure of the restaurant makes you feel like you're in a lounge of sorts.  I wouldn't be surprised if that's what it was before Kahoo bought the building:


Kahoo has its daily specials posted on white boards at the front door.  While my mom and my ahyi took their time looking over them, I went straight to the table and then giggled to myself as they walked around trying to find me.  Immature much?

Anyway, since they both ordered the ramen special, my mom and ahyi each got an avocado roll:


The texture of the rice reminded me of the sushi platters you can buy at Costco.  Like it's a block of rice rather than individual grains.

As part of the ramen special, my mom and ahyi also got gyoza:


Also tasted Costco bought.

As an appetizer, we each got a yakionigiri or grilled rice ball:


Kahoo's yakionigiri is almost, almost as good as Tanto's.  I like Tanto's the most because theirs come with ikura or large salmon roe and the filling in their onigiri is more flavorful.  But still, the margin is very, very small and it might be just my personal bias since in my eyes, Tanto can do no wrong.

I saw corn cheese on the menu and I just had to try it:


When Kahoo says corn cheese, they really mean corn cheese.  As in corn...with lots of cheese.  Not bad, but I prefer the corn cheese from Bob Sang where there's creamy slaw in the mix.

I wasn't really in the mood for ramen, so I got the karaage over rice:


Fried stuff and mayo.  One of my favorite combos.  The rice was kinda unnecessary though.

The ramen special of the day was the spicy kotten miso:


As I didn't get a taste, I can't tell you if it's any good.  My mom and ahyi looked happy though.

I'm willing to forgive Kahoo the scary Elvis impersonator moment, because their food is decent, their service is friendly, and the place is clean with lots of natural light.  Gotta love them windows.

Given my mother's love of ramen, we'll definitely be back.


Kahoo
3590 El Camino Real
Santa Clara, CA 95051
(408) 247-4405

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!