Oakland: Miss Ollie's

Given how we all work in Oakland, you would think it would easier for VT, SY, and I to get together.  No so.  Planning a dinner takes months of scheduling and rescheduling and rescheduling again before finally being able to settle on a day that works for all three of us.

Picking a restaurant, on the other hand, isn't nearly as difficult.  SY had been talking about trying Miss Ollie's for ages, so that's where we went:


I got there pretty early:


The hostess was kind enough to seat me without the rest of my party, which gave me some time to squeeze in some work before SY and VT arrived.

As usual, the three of us ordered everything to split.  We started off with the seafood salad ($11):


It looks small, but it was packed with mahi mahi, squid, anchovies, olives, hearts of palm, butterball potatoes, pimento, and a hen egg.  All drizzled with a coconut vinegar dressing.  Not sure if I tasted any coconut, but I loved the tanginess of the dressing.

We picked two mains, the grilled jerk hen ($9):


It came with a little side salad made of heirloom tomatoes, avocado, sweet onions, citrus salt, Meyer lemon, capers, and cilantro.  Avocado always gets bonus points with me.  I wanted to enjoy the jerk hen, but as you all know already, I'm a total pansy when it comes to anything even remotely spicy, and this one was a tad bit too hot for me to handle.  It hurt so good though.

The skillet fried chicken ($16.50), however, was right up my alley: 


Crispy with no trace of oil.  Just perfect.

It came with two sides, potato salad and sauteed collard greens:


I wasn't particularly a fan of either.  Both could have used a bit more seasoning in my opinion.

We couldn't leave without dessert.  It too so much effort for us to finally meet up, so we needed to celebrate.  We got the bread pudding:


Okay, the photo sucks.  I know.  I forgot my camera so I had to make do with my dumb phone.  But trust me when I say it was warm and delicious.  Way more appetizing than it looks here.

Loved the atmosphere of Miss Ollie's and the food wasn't bad either.  Would definitely go back, but there's still so much in Oakland that I have yet to explore so it may be a while yet.

Hey, SY!  VT!  When's our next get together?


Miss Ollie's
901 Washington St
Oakland, CA 94607
(510) 285-6188
http://www.missolliesoakland.com/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!