San Francisco: Ghirardelli Chocolate Festival

For my birthday, my best friend got us tickets to the 15th Annual Ghirardelli Square Chocolate Festival. After our awesome brunch at Brenda's, we walked all the way up Polk St from the Civic Center to Ghirardelli Square:



15 samples cost $20:



Luckily for us, my friend got a deal from livingsocial.com. Instead of $20, each ticket was going for $10. God must have really wanted us to go because there was an additional deal where if you pay with a VISA card, it's buy one get one free. So my friend bought 2 tickets with 30 samples for only $10. Woot woot!

After walking a bit around the festival, we got into the longest line there. Turns out the line was for Kara's Cupcakes:



We got a peanut butter and a coconut sample. The flavor apparently was only in the frosting. The cupcake itself was not at all impressive. My best friend said it tasted like it came out of a supermarket. Sadness.

Goodytwos Toffee Company was passing out traditional toffee and sweet and salty toffee. We got both:



Ciao Bella Gelato also made an appearance:



Weirdly enough, no chocolate here...just a mini blood orange sorbet bar:



By this time, the lines for just about every tent was getting pretty long. We got in line for DeLise Dessert Cafe:



White chocolate lemongrass ice cream...the best thing to come out of the entire festival:



My best friend tried a Youngs double chocolate stout:



Even chocolate wouldn't tempt me to try beer. My best friend didn't like it.

Sweet was passing out creme brulee samples. I got the cafe mocha creme brulee:



Got some chocolate mint tea from Crown & Crumpet Tea Salon:



Tasted the mint, but not the chocolate. Also didn't add sugar when I really should have.

Not ready to give up on tea, we got in line for The Tea Room's tea infused chocolate:



Got one of each flavor:



There was the chamomile & honey in white chocolate, jasmine green tea in milk chocolate, black masala chai in milk chocolate, green earl grey in 58% dark chocolate, raspberry rooibos in58% dark , and Argentinian yerba mate tea & cacao nibs in 72% dark.

Our last stop was CC Made for some caramel corn with pistachio:



We left the festival without using up all 15 samples. I don't think I even reached 10. There simply weren't that many offerings that appealed to me.

I had a great time, for $5 a ticket. To be honest, I probably wouldn't have thought it worth it if we'd gotten tickets at full price. $20 is a bit much for what was there.


Ghirardelli Square
900 N Point Sq
San Francisco, CA 94109
(415) 775-5500
http://www.ghirardellisq.com/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!