Oakland: Bakesale Betty

Ever since I found out about Bakesale Betty after I left Berkeley, I've been dying to go. I remember passing by this nondescript place with no signs during my undergrad years and wondering at the long line:



Well, my chance finally came and I was particularly charmed by the handwritten menu posted on the window and the ironing boards that functioned as tables:



To start off, my friend and I got the lemonade ices:



Very tart, just the way I like my lemonade.

We didn't originally plan on getting dessert, but after seeing the strawberry shortcake, we couldn't help ourselves:



I know this may be a little out of order, but I just had to open it up and admire all the strawberries. Somewhere underneath all that is a wonderful shortcake...and there's also a mound of whipped cream on the other side of the strawberry mountain.

This, of course, was what led to me Bakesale Betty in the first place:



The fried chicken sandwich is AMAZING:



Two (not one) pieces of fried chicken on a bed of cole slaw. Makes a mess, but a delicious mess.

Will definitely be back to try all the other baked goodies. If you want to try Bakesale Betty, get there early. It closes at 2:30pm.


Bakesale Betty
5098 Telegraph Ave
Oakland, CA 94609
(510) 985-1213

Comments

  1. I wanted to see what you found while you were in the Bay Area and I am so excited about this place. It looks cool. Bakesale Betty does look pretty nondescript though--for the lazy local, are there any visual Telegraph landmarks near it I could navigate while driving through?

    While visiting family in Monterey last week I ate a delicious BBQ pork-shoulder sandwich with creamy coleslaw on focaccia bread. I thought of you: I got a stomach ache from trying to eat it all. But, it was worth it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!