San Francisco: R&G Lounge

The Lost Weekend came to a close at R&G Lounge:


We didn't really plan to end up there, but we were wandering around Chinatown, it was dinnertime, and we didn't know where else to go.  Shows how well we know SF.

Anyway, it was a Sunday night, so of course the wait was monstrous.  We must have waited about an hour before we were led downstairs:


The whole reason why we went to R&G was this:


The salt and pepper crab is R&G's signature dish.  It's market price, so expect to pay around $30.  Yes, it's quite steep for one crab, but it's really fried to perfection.  I'm usually too lazy to crack my own crab, but for R&G, I make an exception.

We felt kind of embarrassed to only order one crab (even though that's really all that we wanted), so we tacked on the honey spareribs ($15):


And the braised e-fu noodles with pork, mushrooms, and chives ($12):


As well as the eggplant and salted fish in a clay pot ($15):


A lot of extra stuff for one crab, eh?

At the end of the meal, we were brought a complimentary red bean jelly for dessert:


In my opinion, R&G is overpriced.  The food is good (and very salty), no doubt about it.  But you can get equally good Chinese food elsewhere for much cheaper.  The only thing that makes R&G Lounge worth the trip is the crab.  Again, no cheap, but it's that good.

Now that I think about it, it's not even the crab itself that's delicious.  It's the fried batter.  The fried crack batter.  I wouldn't mind cleaning off all the fried goodness and leaving the crab behind.

Now that The Lost Weekend is all properly accounted for, I am finally all caught up.

Not.

Ugh...I have about five months worth of posts to catch up on and I want to accomplish that before my trip to Southeast Asia in January (more on that later).  I'm so screwed.


R&G Lounge
631 Kearny St
San Francisco, CA 94108
(415) 982-7877
http://rnglounge.com/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!