Chicago: Pequod's Pizza

I couldn't let my best friend come to Chicago and NOT take her to get some deep dish pizza.  I figured I would get it out of the way early on during her stay so that we could have more flexibility later on.

I'm slowly making my way through all the deep dish options in town, one guest at a time.  Pequod's was next on my list, so that's where we went for dinner on Saturday:


I was expecting a long line, so I made it a point to get us there a bit early.  It seemed that I shouldn't have worried.  Things didn't get busy until much later on:


There was no question that we would be sharing a small deep dish.  What did require some thought, however, was what toppings we wanted.  We ultimately went with mushroom and sausage:


It was at Pequod's that I learned that my best friend is a VEGETARIAN.  An official, honest to God vegetarian.  I totally didn't see it coming.  Before you judge me too harshly about not knowing something this monumental about my own best friend, I would like to defend myself by saying that the last time we talked about food, all she said was that she prefers vegetables over meat and nothing about giving up meat entirely.  Granted, I should have gotten the hint when she was picking out the slivers of proscuitto from our grilled cheese sandwich at Grahamwich, but it took her stopping the waitress at Pequod's and requesting a half topping of sausage instead of a regular topping for all the signs to finally sink in.

I was floored.  I still am, actually.  Anyone who knows anything about me knows that I'm a hardcore carnivore.  I've been known to lightly tease my friends who eat salad.  I've also been known to threaten to cut off any friends who play with the idea of going vegetarian...in a friendly way, of course  Don't even get me started on veganism.

Anyway, back on topic.  To be honest, I don't remember much about the pizza:


I remember the sausage being decent, but the mushroom being bleh.  My best friend lamented about the fact that the pizza arrived lukewarm.

Pequod's is known for its caramelized cheese crust:


For some reason, I expected the caramelized magic to be all over the entire crust (including the bottom) and not just a crown of sorts on the edge.  The crust was also quite a bit thicker than I would prefer.

All in all, I wasn't blown away.  And I really wanted to be.  Instead, I was bulldozed by my best friend's revelation regarding her newfound dietary moral convictions.

If it was anyone else, I could easily dismiss and disown them.  But this is my best friend, who I've known since I was 1 and a half years of age, who I've eaten sand with in the playground, and who has stuck with me for over two decades despite my many, many shortcomings.

Needless to say, I have a lot of self-reflecting to do in the near future.  At the moment though, the shock is still too great.

If you're reading this...I still love you, BFF.  I just need some time to get over myself.



Pequod's Pizza
2207 N Clybourn Ave
Chicago, IL 60614
(773) 327-1512
http://www.pequodspizza.com/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!