Chicago: Lao Sze Chuan

My roommate's friend was in town and they decided to meet in Chinatown for dinner Monday night.  I shamelessly tagged along (in my defense, I was invited) despite knowing that we would be eating at Lao Sze Chuan and that they wanted to get hot pot.

While that might not seem particularly problematic for most people, consider it in the context of one) my dislike of hot pot and two) my embarrassing inability to handle spiciness.  I disregarded both factors and met up with my roommate and her friend at the restaurant after my evening seminar anyway:


Instead of individually ordering ingredients, my roommate and her friend decided it would make more sense to  go with the $17 per person package, which comes with a variety of meat, veggies, seafood, tofu, and noodles.  To get a taste of everything, they ordered the dual broth hot pot:


The spread was pretty impressive:


As was the plate of meat:


Sauces were also provided:


I elected not to join in on the hot pot love and instead ordered my own dish along with a bowl of rice.  It'd been so long since I last had pork intestine, so I really couldn't resist the call of sour pickle intestines:


Not the best intestine I've ever had, but it still satisfied the craving.  I think I scared my roommate more than a little when I finished the entire plate basically all by myself.  So much for the last week of behaving and eating healthy at home.

On top of all that intestine, my roommate defied our server's warning not to share the hot pot with me (since I didn't order a portion) and continually snuck goodies straight from the hot pot to my plate.

She takes good care of me.

Thank you roomie's friend for treating!


Lao Sze Chuan
2172 S Archer Ave
Chicago, IL 60616
(312) 326-5040

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!