Chicago: Lou Malnati's Pizzeria

We gave up on having deep dish the previous evening, so on my friend's last full day in Chicago, we hopped on the L and made our way to Lou Malnati's for lunch:


Apparently business is slow on Mondays at noon:



The walls were decorated with all sorts of sports memorabilia.  The only one that really caught my interest was Shaq's basketball shorts.  I mean, just look at the size of that thing!  It's huge!

Instead of going for their lunch special, we opted to share a small pizza and and an appetizer.  At the recommendation of our server, we ordered the stuffed spinach bread:


It came stuffed with spinach, garlic, cheese, onion, and tomato:


To be honest, I wasn't impressed.  The bread was crunchy to the point of being almost unpleasantly hard.  I had to smother it with marinara sauce to enjoy it.

We figured a small 9" Malnati Chicago Classic would be just enough for the two of us:


The Classic comes with sausage, cheese, and tomato sauce:


The sausage comes in a disk, which means that there's some sausage with every bite.  I'm a California girl, so I'm nowhere close to being a Chicago deep dish expert, but in my lowly opinion, the pizza at Gino's East is more memorable than Lou's.   Out of all the deep dish places I've tried in Chicago, I prefer Gino's crust and sausage.  Lou's probably comes in at a distant second.

I finished my three slices of pizza, but my friend flaked out at the last minute and cut her last slice in half.  So in the end, we didn't kill off the entire pan (as was the original goal), but instead packed a pathetic half slice to go.  Fail, friend.  Fail.


Lou Malnati's Pizzeria
439 N Wells St
Chicago, IL 60654
(312) 828-9800
http://www.loumalnatis.com/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!