Chicago: Gino's East

When friends come to visit, deep dish is a must. Since I don't have any loyalties toward one pizzeria over another, I try to change it up for each guest....okay, maybe for more selfish reasons than that. I take each guest to a different pizzeria so that I can try all of them. As I'd never gone to Gino's East before, that's where I took them last night. We were a little bummed by the line, but it ended up going pretty quickly:



Gotta say, love the interior. And we definitely left our own mark before we left:



The pizza takes about 45 min to prepare, so we started off with some calamari:



I'm from the Bay Area, so I know what kind of calamari I like: at Fisherman's wharf, fresh off of a food stand, in a paper tray, with seagulls waiting to attack. With that in mind, Gino's calamari was....meh. But the pizza sauce on the side was cute.

For our pizza, it was basically a no-brainer. Supreme with crumbled sausage:



That way, you get your veggies and your sausage. The sausage, as always, was fantastic. I'll never go back to pepperoni. And something else that took me by surprise: the crust. It was doughy with a crunch to the edges...like getting a nice breadstick with your pizza.

I know in my Giordano's post I said that anyone who could eat more than 2 slices is a hero in my book. Well, I guess we were all heroes last night. We'd ordered a large pizza for the 3 of us and we killed it:



I think my friends were really hungry from walking around downtown all day. As for me...I had no excuse. It was good.


Gino's East
162 E Superior St
Chicago, IL 60611
(312) 266-3337
http://www.ginoseast.com

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!