Greece: Vavitsas Bakery

It took all of our dinner plans falling through (everything on my list was closed due to it being low season) for us to realize that we really weren't all that hungry.  We could have gone back to Taverna Panellinion if we'd wanted something hot and savory, but we decided to hit up a bakery instead.

Located right in the center of Kalambaka, Vavitsas Bakery get lots of foot traffic:



Given the late hour, a lot of the shelves were empty.  Even so, there was still a lot to choose from:



My sister was most interested in the cake display case.  She chose this custard cake topped with whipped cream:



The base was this noodle-like pastry soaked in syrup.  It was a bit too much for me, but my sister and my mother liked it.

My favorite was this almond cookie:



It was crunchy, only subtly sweet, and totally my cup of tea.

When the bakery employee told us this pastry was filled with rice, we knew we had to try it: 



It was rice alright:



Yea...not a big hit in my family.  The rice filling was mushy and syrupy and a bit underwhelming.

From what I can tell, while Vavitsas might not be the best in town, it;s a decent bakery.  There's nothing that will blow your mind, but there's also nothing that will make you mad.  Prices are reasonable and there's a wide variety to choose from.  If you don't want to walk too far from the town center, it's the perfect choice for a quick snack or a convenient dessert.


Vavitsas Bakery
Rodou 2, Kalampaka 422 00, Greece
+30 2432 076944

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!