Greece: Krinos

Our first full day in Athens started with donuts, as all good days should.  There are many places to get loukoumades (the Greek equivalent of donuts), but Krinos is one of the oldest in the city:


The dining room was massive and mostly empty when we arrived:


At the back of the shop was the counter where you place your order:


All the posted signs were in Greek, so we didn't really know what the options were.  We could, however, point at things.  We're really good at that.

We got an order of loukoumades with syrup (3.50€):


We weren't aware that an order came with half a dozen loukoumades.  Maybe we would have ordered less if we knew.

...

Oh, who am I kidding?  It wouldn't have changed a thing.

Unlike donuts, loukoumades are very airy and crisp.  I suppose you can even call them...light.  Hence probably why orders come in multiples of six.  Personally, I prefer donuts as loukoumades have a strong yeasty flavor that I'm not partial to.

We got the bougatsa (2.70€) or custard pastry for my mother:


And then to balance out all the sweet, we got the cheese pie (2.40€):


The feta and mizithra cheese filling was surprisingly not heavy at all:


I'm not a coffee drinker, but the rest of my family are.  Since the only coffee I know comes in ice cream form, I let my sister handle the coffee ordering.  She got the Greek coffee (1.70€) and the frappe or the shaken iced coffee (1.90€):


To me, the frappe just tasted like coffee flavored water.  I honestly don't get the appeal, but my sister really enjoyed it.

Right as we were getting up to leave, we noticed something hanging from the table:


A menu!  IN ENGLISH!  If only we'd spotted this earlier.  Then we would've known that we could have ordered our loukoumades covered in Nutella.  Or ice cream! 

Ugh.  Opportunity wasted!


Krinos
Aiolou 87, Athens, Greece
+30 21 0321 6852

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!