Greece: Pappouliou Bakery

Our train out of Kalambaka was scheduled to leave slightly after 8:00am.  We left the apartment early so that we could scrounge up some breakfast as well as some lunch/snacks for the journey.  Our first attempt was Spitiki Gefsi, but to our utter disappointment, it was too early and they weren't open yet.  (Nooooooooo!!)

Pappouliou Bakery, however, was open:


And fully stocked with cookies:


Once I found out there was a croissant with chocolate, I immediately asked for one:


To my surprise, instead of chocolate, the croissant was filled with NUTELLA:


Also a surprise, was the price.  It wasn't until I checked the receipt that I realized that croissant cost 3€.  Way too expensive for a mediocre croissant, even one slathered with Nutella.  I enjoyed every bite though.

My sister and I went a bit ham on the cookies.  There were just so many interesting ones.  The bakery lady couldn't really speak English, so we selected the cookies purely based on aesthetics and curiosity.  The cookies were sold by the kilo and two of each of the ones we chose set us back only 1.30€.  We took them out while waiting at the Palaeofarsalos train station for our transfer.

There as this twisted cookie:


A bit cakey and dry.  Probably much better with a cup of coffee or tea.

This raisin one was a bit better even though I originally thought those would be chocolate chips (boo!):


We got the Greek Christmas honey cookie (melomakarona) dipped in chocolate:


I personally preferred it without the chocolate.

This horseshoe one wasn't super memorable:


While this sandwich one had a strange jam filling that we couldn't identify:


Apricot?  What the heck was it?

Overall, not super impressed by Greek cookies beyond the Christmas honey one and the butter almond one we got at Svoronos Bakery back on Santorini.  I'm now a huge fan of croissants and Nutella though, even when the croissant itself is a bit lackluster.  (All the same, I wouldn't pay 3€ for one again.  Hell no.) 


Pappouliou Bakery
Trikalon 52-84, Kalampaka 422 00, Greece
+30 2432 024657

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!