Indonesia: Payogan Homestay

After we finally finished frolicking through the market, Ketut was kind enough to invite us to have breakfast with his other Airbnb guest.

Payogan Homestay is actually located in a Balinese family complex, which is basically a walled area with multiple dwellings in it for each family unit.  And when I say dwellings, I mean gorgeous houses like the one we stayed in:


Ketut lives in the family complex with his family and his brothers' families.  There are a couple houses and rooms that are currently unoccupied and to help the family make an extra bit of money, he lists those on Airbnb.

While we were there, an Australian songwriter was staying in the house across from ours.  He was the one we had breakfast with.  From him we learned that songwriters have it good because they can work from anywhere in the world.  He'd been hired for a project and the first thing he did was book a flight to Bali.

We also learned from him the existence of the word "turnt."  We had to Google it to figure out what it means and to be honest, I still don't really know.

Anyway, Ketut prepared for us a beautiful breakfast with scrambled eggs, homemade bread, and homemade jam:


The jam was just ridiculous.  Definitely not your typical strawberry or raspberry jam.  Made with tropical fruits, the only one I could make out was pineapple.

We each also got a bowl of fruit:


I'd never squeezed lime on my fruit before, but now that I've tried it, I can't believe I've been missing out.  Lime just adds an additional burst of freshness to anything.  Even to fresh fruit.

Everyone else had Balinese coffee, but I went with tea:


The tea was very fragrant.  Kind of flowery, but not in a way that's off-putting.  I generally don't like flowery things (like jasmine tea), but this one was perfect.  I asked Ketut what kind of tea it was and he told me it was a teabag from a box that you can get at any convenience store.  I was a little scared that he meant Lipton, but luckily it wasn't.  Not bad for a cheap box of tea.

Ketut told us that in the past, he included breakfast in his Airbnb price, but took it out when he realized that many people didn't want it.  So he lowered the price for the rooms and instead started treating guests to breakfast if they were amiable to it.  We definitely were.

On our last full day in Bali, it was nice to just sit and chat with a fellow traveler and exchange experiences in Bali.  

I definitely recommend Payogan Homestay for those of you looking to visit Ubud.  It's quiet and peaceful and you really get an insider's view of life in a Balinese village.  The rooms are stunning, modern, and very comfortable.  And best of all, you get to meet amazing people like Ketut's family.  You really can't go wrong with Payogan Homestay.

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!