New York: Sabor a Mexico

Watching Nana's play turned out to be a very emotional experience for me.  Nobody was more surprised by my response than I was.  (Though Nana probably came pretty close.)  More than ready to put my weepy embarrassment behind me, I was really excited about the prospect of chimichangas at Sabor a Mexico:


The restaurant was really small, so we had to wait a bit outside.  We passed the time by playing a game that my sister and I came up with a while back where we picked a word and then took turns coming up with songs with that word in it.  Nana is a freakin' jukebox.  Playing against her was almost painful.

Luckily, defeat doesn't affect my appetite.

My sister got a plate a nachos:


The cheese sauce tasted like it'd been mixed with mashed potatoes.  Seriously.  So good!

There was no way I was going to order anything else but the chimichanga:


I picked carne asada for my filling:


I love chimichangas.  I really do.  Prior to Sabor a Mexico, the only place I'd had it was at La Milpa back in the Bay.  Though it pains me to say this, I think I prefer Sabor a Mexico's chimichanga over that of La Milpa.  I feel like such a traitor.  Ugh.

But really now.  The chimichanga at Sabor a Mexico is filled with cheese, beans, and rice on top of meat.  Whereas La Milpa's only has meat...which can get a bit dry at times.  The only aspect that Sabor a Mexico might lose to La Milpa is the chimichanga skin.  The one at Sabor a Mexico is super thin and crisp (like an egg roll), while the one at La Milpa is thicker.  I prefer thicker skin, but only by a teeny tiny margin.

The chimichanga was a fabulous end to a great day.  I'm so very proud of Nana and all that she's accomplished.  She's basically all done with school now.  All that's left is graduation (and visiting me in Chicago).  Congrats, Nana!  


Sabor a Mexico
160 1st Ave
New York, NY 10003
(212) 533-4002

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!