New York: Cafe Habana

We had time to squeeze in brunch at Cafe Habana before the second showing of Nana's play (actually her third, but I missed the first one):


It was packed, but luckily we didn't have to wait long before a table opened for us:


It looked like there was a plate of grilled corn on every table, ours included:


Since there were four of us, our server was very considerate to have the two ears of corn each cut in half.  My sister was a little put off by the mayo, but I was all COME TO MAMA!  Sweet corn, mayo, chili powder, cheese, plus a squeeze of lime...definitely worth all the little corn bits that get stuck in your teeth.

Between the corn and the Cuban sandwich, I can't decide which I like more:


The bread was perfectly toasted.  The roast pork, ham, swiss cheese, chipotle mayo, and pickles made for the juiciest flavor combo.  Gawd.  I want one now.

Then there was the chorizo con papas:


According to Nana, chorizo on the East Coast is slightly different than chorizo on the West.  I think it's slightly smoother in texture and less spicy.  But that's just me.  I'm no expert on chorizo.  The hard shell tacos came stuffed with chorizo (duh), potatoes, lettuce, sour cream, and green salsa.

My least favorite of the day, though still quite yummy, was the chilaquiles verdes con pollo:


It was a corn tortilla and chicken casserole cooked in green tomatillo salsa and topped with crema and cotija cheese.  With a side of black beans.  The best bite had a bit of everything in it.  A bit tangy from the tomatillo  salsa, which was great, but I guess I would have liked a bit more texture contrast.

I would definitely go back to Cafe Habana for the corn and Cuban sandwich alone.  But besides that, the laid-back atmosphere is fantastic and the service is very friendly.  Overall, just a great place to hang out.


Cafe Habana
17 Prince St
New York, NY 10012
(212) 625-2001
http://www.cafehabana.com/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!