South Bay: Layang Layang

An impromptu lunch with my Ahyi took my family to Layang Layang:


My poor listening skills almost led my family to the wrong restaurant.  Luckily, my sister caught the mistake and my mom made a quick U-turn.  I really should've known better because we'd been to Layang Layang before, back when it first opened years ago.

I remember not being too impressed by the fare, but apparently Layang Layang has made a name for itself among the business people in the area.  According to my Ahyi, the line can get pretty crazy during the weekday lunch hour, so we made sure to show up early to try to beat the crowd.  Good thing we did because despite it being the day before Xmas Eve, there was decent sized group milling about the door by the time we finished ordering.

Here's what the place looked like before it completely filled up:


Lunch started off with a bowl of soup:


Then came the appetizers.  Instead of acting like a normal person and ordering one roti, my Ahyi ordered two:


And added an order of beef satay:


Five sticks for the five of us.  Perfect.

The perk about restaurants that target the working demographic is that they usually have a lunch special menu.  Layang Layang certainly did and we took full advantage of it.

My dad wanted noodle soup, but he wanted to avoid anything spicy.  Our server recommended the ipoh ho hee, which is a flat rice noodle soup with fish balls, shrimp, and bean sprouts:


Ahyi got the mee siam, which were stir fried rice vermicelli noodles with shrimp, tofu, egg, veggies, and ground peanuts in some kind of spicy sauce:



My mom attacked her hokkien mee so quickly that I never got to take a picture.  I guess if you're curious about what it looks like, you could also find a photo on the Layang Layang website.

My sister and I split the kari mee, which was a spicy lemongrass and coconut curry soup base with noodles, chicken, tofu, and potato:


We also split the kari chicken (basically chicken curry):


Out of everything we had, my favorite were the little dried fishies that came with the chicken curry.  No joke.  I could eat that with rice all day.

While I'm still not quite sure what all those people see in Layang Layang, I can't say I have any complaints about the food or the price (everything on the lunch menu is either $6.95 or $7.95).  I wouldn't purposefully choose to come back, but I suppose I wouldn't object if someone else wanted to.


Layang Layang
181 W Calavaras Blvd
Milpitas, CA 95035
(408) 263-6788
http://www.layanglayang.us/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!