South Bay: Kabul Afghan Cuisine

We took a risk on New Year's Eve and arrived at Kabul for dinner without a reservation.  Ahyi had been talking about it all winter break, so I really wanted to squeeze it in before I had to leave for Chicago.  We got there a little after it opened:


Since the restaurant was mostly empty, we though we were in the clear:


When the hostess asked us if we had a reservation instead of how many people were in our party, the first thought that crossed all our minds was, to sum it up in one word, "Crap!"

Luckily, rather than turning us away, the hostess flipped through her little book and called someone else over for a tense consultation before finally reaching some kind of agreement, then leading us to a table.  Whew!  Crisis averted.

Each entree came with a simple salad:


Then came the entrees themselves.  I got the sabsi challaw, which was essentially lamb cooked with spinach, onion and garlic:


My sister ordered the badenjan challaw with lamb:


While I really enjoyed my sabsi, I have to say that the badenjan with its eggplant and tomatoes was out of this world amazing.

Both our entrees came with challaw or white rice:


And a hunk of Afghan bread:


My mom and Ahyi both got the kabab-e-teka:


The beef kababs came with pallaw, which is seasoned rice, and some Afghan bread.  Two kababs don't sound like a lot, but there was actually quite a lot of meat there.  My mom must have really liked the pallaw because she virtually inhaled it.

Another fabulous meal, courtesy of my Ahyi.  She really knows all the good places in the Bay.  Not only was the food at Kabul spot on and the service exceedingly friendly, the portion sizes were also very generous.  I didn't realize how much food each serving actually was until I discovered the next night that my leftovers alone were enough to feed three people.  Holy moly.

Definitely my ideal way of ending the year.


Kabul Afghan Cuisine
833 W El Camino Real
Sunnyvale, CA 94086
(408) 245-4350
http://www.kabulrestaurant.net/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!