Chicago: Kristoffer's Cafe and Bakery

For my birthday last year, my friends surprised me with a coconut tres leches cake from Kristoffer's. I almost died from bliss. Over six months later, I still dream about that cake. Since my friend was in town, I shamelessly used her as an excuse to make a trip out to Kristoffer's:



I immediately fell in love with the place the minute I stepped inside:



There's such a homey, inviting feel to Kristoffer's, as if you're walking into someone's living room. There are members of the community gathered around various tables, joking and laughing over coffee. Photographs of the owner's sons are tacked onto the wall behind the counter. Students are studying silently in the corner, interrupted only when food is brought to their table.

Kristoffer's boasts of many different kinds of tres leches cake. We were particularly interested in the kahlua one, but unfortunately they didn't have any slices left. We allowed ourselves to wallow in our disappointment for a good minute before we directed our energy to the serious task of choosing another cake slice. We ultimately decided on the vanilla:



The cake was moist and amazing...but I couldn't really taste the vanilla. The chocolate icing essentially took over the entire cake.

Of course we had to get a slice of my dream cake:



The coconut tres leches was still as dreamy as I remembered. It's definitely one of my favorite cakes in the WORLD.

My friend and I sat and chatted for a long while after we finished our cakes. I was just about to suggest moving on to our next destination when this was suddenly set on the table before us:



Free samples?! Kristoffer's gives free samples?! And whole slices at that? If I wasn't already in love with the place, that would've sealed the deal.

The chocoflan was alright. I'm not a flan person to begin with, so I'm a bit biased. But that's besides the point. FREE SAMPLES?!

If I lived in Pilsen I would be at Kristoffer's all the time. I love the atmosphere, I love the cakes, and I love the staff. I am almost tempted to keep this gem all to myself and not tell anyone about it. Almost.


Kristoffer's Cafe and Bakery
1733 S Halsted St
Chicago, IL 60608
(312) 829-4150

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!