Chicago: Zaleski and Horvath MarketCafe

Tuesday morning, I met up with some of my law friends for breakfast. The law school really isn't that big, but for some reason, I rarely run into friends unless we share the same class. As a result, there's been people that I haven't seen since before summer started. Sometimes, it really just takes a conscious effort to meet and catch up.

I was all prepared to leave my apartment when my sister messaged me to ask me to book her winter break tickets for her. I still had some time, so I quickly did it...and then my browser crashed the second I clicked the submit button. What the hell? Anyway, I ended up running a bit late. I was in such a hurry that I forgot to grab my camera. Fortunately, my cell phone appears to take some rather nice quality photos.

I suggested meeting at Z&H because I'd heard a lot of good things about it. The original location is on 47th St, but over the summer they opened a storefront on 57th, which is a lot closer to where I live:



I almost walked past it. No identifying sign, no posters...nothing. I've heard that on warm days, the huge windowed wall is rolled up to leave the entire front open. I guess autumn really is setting in now, so unfortunately, the wall remained down.

A lot of sandwiches looked good to me, but I finally decided on A Little Pecorino:



I'm not usually a fan of flatbread, but this one was nicely toasted. The panini included roasted chicken, roasted tomato, roasted red peppers, pecorino, mayo, and pesto. Roasted, roasted, roasted. I enjoyed it a lot. The roasted red peppers added a sweetness that balanced out the saltiness of the pesto.

Two of my friends had a few issues with their sandwiches. One had wilted lettuce (due to the sandwich being toasted with the lettuce inside). The other was trying out a newly introduced sandwich that combined tuna with kimchi...and just didn't work out (mostly because the tuna wasn't really fresh).

That's sad...but hey, my sandwich was good. Maybe the 57th location just needs some more time to work out some kinks.


Zaleski and Horvath Marketcafe
1323 E 57th St
Chicago, IL 60637
(773) 538-7372

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!