Chicago: Cafe 28

No special occasion required for brunch with the girls. After a long night that lasted into the wee hours of the morning, I dragged myself out of bed at 8:00am because I knew I couldn't miss Cafe 28:



Cafe 28 is made up of a mix of Mexican, Cuban, and American influences. I wouldn't quite count it as fusion, as each dish definitely has it's own distinct flavor.

My friend and I decided to split two entrees so that we could enjoy both sweet and savory. We're smart like that. First up, we ordered the stuffed french toast:



The french toast wasn't as thick and decadent as I imagined from reading the menu description. The menu described it as stuffed with a blend of bananas, cream cheese, and brown sugar. I don't know why I expected chunks of banana when the menu did indeed say "blend":



Overall, the french toast was subtly sweet and quite good, though not as amazing as I'd hoped it would be. What was amazing though, was the raspberry syrup. Oh yea.

For our savory taste buds, we ordered the honey jalapeño pork chops:



We'd intended to get a sweet dish and a savory one, but the pork chops ended up being sweeter than the french toast. The pork was succulent and juicy and delicious, but missing the spicy kick we thought the jalapeño would add. Still, can't complain too much. That was some damn good pork.

The pork chops also came with a choice of toast. We went with the raisin bread:



The bread was overly toasted...but nothing a little butter and raspberry syrup couldn't fix.

We had a great time at Cafe 28, but with so many promising brunch places in Chicago, it might be a while before I make it back again.


Cafe 28
1800 W Irving Park Rd
Chicago, IL 60613
(773) 528-2883

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!