Chicago: Pho 777

When my friend tempted me with the promise of Vietnamese pancake, I jumped at the offer. The place to go in Chicago to get decent Vietnamese food is uptown on Argyle St, where on the same block you can find Pho 777, Pho 888, and Pho 999. Pho 777 is my friend's favorite:



I'd never heard of a Vietnamese pancake before, so I was really curious to try one:



The pancake was a thin layer of fried glutinous goodness folded over bean sprouts and shrimp. The pancake itself didn't contain much flavor, so the fish sauce really made a difference. Have I mentioned before how much I love fish sauce?

I debated between getting pho and cold noodles. It was a difficult decision, but I finally settled on the pork over vermicelli noodles:



While a delicious meal overall, having Vietnamese food in Chicago really just makes me miss San Jose. The price and taste of Vietnamese food in San Jose just can't be beat. When my vermicelli arrived, I was disappointed by the size of the bowl. A peek over at other people's pho bowls wasn't any more promising. When you order a large pho in San Jose...you get a LARGE ASS bowl. Competition is so fierce that restaurants have no choice but to dish out large quantities of good food at low prices. Having grown up in that kind of Vietnamese food paradise, I find anything less unacceptable.

Ahh...I can't wait for winter break.


Pho 777
1065 W Argyle St
Chicago, IL 60640
(773) 561-9909

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!