South Bay: 111 Bakery & Deli

111 Bakery & Deli was a relatively new discovery for me, but apparently everybody else in the area has known that it's the place to go for banh mi for eons.  Even my own sister and mother  knew and they never told me.  Thanks a lot, guys.

It first got on my radar when T brought banh mi for us to have on the flight to Iceland back in March.  We actually went together before going cherry picking in June and it was then that I found something that I loved even more than the banh mi.

Anyway, better late than never right?  And unlike my friends and my own flesh and blood, I share good things with others. 

In October, my sister had to go down to SoCal for a scholarship award ceremony.  I seized the chance to take a mini vacay and cajoled CK into coming from Chicago to join us.  (It didn't take much to convince her.)  We left our house at the crack of dawn and made a detour to 111 Bakery before hitting the road:


111 Bakery has a huge array of Asian baked goods:


But at the very back of the bakery is the banh mi (Vietnamese sandwich) station.  That's where the magic happens:


The best banh mi, in my humble opinion, is the combination ($3.50 on regular bread):


It has a little bit of everything: cha (Vietnamese sausage), ham, shredded chicken, shredded pork skin, pate, some kind of mayo, pickled veggies, cilantro, a squirt of some kind of sauce, and black pepper.  It's delicious.  And the bread is so soft!  I only ate half of my sandwich on the way down to SoCal.  I put the rest in the fridge and two days later it was still soft.  How is that possible?! 

The first time I saw pate chaud ($1.50 each) in the display counter, I knew we would share a special bond:


I was right.  This flaky, buttery puff pastry is filled with the most fragrant and flavorful pork filling.  I love it so, so much.  CV told me there are better places to get pate chaud, but since she has yet to take me to one, I'll continue getting my fill at 111 Bakery.

111 Bakery is super affordable, super efficient, and super DELICIOUS.  Definitely get a banh mi.  Definitely get a pate chaud.  And definitely bring cash.


111 Bakery & Deli
2347 McKee Rd
San Jose, CA 95116
(408) 258-9888

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!