SF Peninsula: The Garden Club

My sister heard about The Garden Club from her SF native friend, who waxed poetic about how great the prime rib was.  She thought it would be the perfect place for a joint birthday dinner for my mother and me:


Despite being located in a semi-run-down strip mall somewhat off the beaten path, there were a lot of people inside:


We were particularly surprised by how many Asians were there.  Though I suppose we should've known better.  Where there's a good deal, there be Asians.  Heck, that's why we were there ourselves.

The Garden Club offers family-style set meals.  The prices vary depending on what entree you choose. 

Our dinner started with the soup du jour:


And complimentary bread:


My father can eat a slab of butter per slice of bread:


Gotta love that spreadable room temperature butter.

Then came salad:


Since it was Sunday, ravioli in meat sauce came as our side of the day:


Honestly, up to that point, I wasn't very impressed.  Everything was bland and uninteresting and...cheap tasting, if that makes any sense.  I tried one ravioli and had no desire to have another.  The sourdough bread and the butter were the only enjoyable things on the table.

Just as I was about to write off The Garden Club as a fail, our mains arrived.  My father got the rack of lamb ($28.95):


My sister and I both got the prime rib ($27.95):


Meanwhile, my mother ordered the daily special, which was the sea bass (I don't remember how much it cost):


Let's skip the sea bass.  It was just alright.  THAT PRIME RIB THO.  And the lamb!  Both were perfectly seasoned and perfectly cooked.  Even the mashed potato was delicious.  (I ignored the frozen veggie medley.) 

The night ended with a choice of either ice cream, sherbet, or tapioca.  None of us wanted the sherbet:


There's no denying that portion sizes at The Garden Club are humongous.  The soup, salad, bread, and ravioli are refillable.  The prime rib is cut thick and generous.  By the time the entrees arrive, you're basically already full.

Yes, all the appetizers at the beginning are essentially fillers, but who cares?  Where else are you going to find a prime rib or rack of lamb meal that includes that much food at that price point?  Go ham on the refillable dishes and then take the good stuff home. 

Worth it.  So, so worth it.

Good job, sister's friend.  You can stay.


The Garden Club
1144 Mission Rd
South San Francisco, CA 94080
(650) 873-4910

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!