San Francisco: Hakka Restaurant

My sister knows about my father's interest in Hakka cuisine, so she took our family out to Hakka Restaurant one day:


The tables were taken up by elderly Chinese people and Chinese families, which we took to be a good sign:


The meal started with complimentary bone soup:


From the Hakka specialty section of the menu, we ordered the pumpkin strips with salted egg yolk batter ($8.95):


If you haven't tried salted egg before, it's a bit of an acquired taste.  One that I have yet to fully acquire.  If I was hard-pressed to describe the taste, I would say it's a bit like...Cheetos.  Like pumpkin coated in Cheetos powder. 

Yea.  Um...moving on.

For my chicken-loving father, we ordered half of a baked chicken ($12.45):


Also off the Hakka specialty section was the pork stomach with preserved veggies ($9.95):


The sourness of the preserved greens served to offset the fattiness of the pork stomach.  Definitely a dish that paired well with rice.

Another dish that went well with rice was the eggplant with basil ($8.95):


Love, love, LOVE basil.  Asian basil, that is.

My mother, who is always drawn to tofu dishes, requested the pan fried tofu ($9.95):


Silky smooth, this tofu went - you guessed it - great with rice.  Are you sensing a theme yet?

Speaking of rice, check out how one order looks at Hakka Restaurant:


That's a lot of rice.

At the end of the meal, we were pleasantly surprised when our server brought over complimentary dessert in the form of a sweet pumpkin soup:


I was a little skeptical at first, but all my doubts were blown away with the first sip.  That was some freakin' delicious pumpkin soup.  My sister managed to score a second helping because our server accidentally brought over an extra bowl.  My sister joked that we wouldn't mind taking the extra one and was super pleased when the server laughed and left us the bowl.  Lucky her.

Many Yelp reviews talk about poor service and low food safety scores.  We actually experienced pretty good service while we were there, but that might be because the restaurant wasn't that busy then.  In regards to the low food safety score...honestly, I'm not put off by that.  I've been known to pull hair out of my burger or pick out a dead fly and continue eating.  Plus I've definitely dined in much dirtier conditions abroad. 

The food is delicious at Hakka Restaurant and that's really all that matters to me.


Hakka Restaurant
4401 Cabrillo St
San Francisco, CA 94121
(415) 876-6898
http://www.hakkasf.com/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!