Chicago: Portage Grounds

Saturday morning, CK took us on a brisk walk through Portage Park.  It was nice to breathe in the crisp autumn air...and to get a simple breakfast at Portage Grounds, located just across the street from the park:


After collecting our purchases, we sat our tushes down at a table outside.

I enjoyed a cup of hot chocolate while both my sister ad CK went with Americanos:


There were two reasons why CK dragged us through the park.  The first was this raspberry white chocolate scone:


Like me, she'd always found scones to be dry and unappetizing.  Until this one.  I was skeptical at first.  But I really shouldn't have been.  I should know by now that CK knows her food.  The scone was moist and just sweet enough.

The second reason was this caramel pumpkin pecan donut:


It was glazed with caramel, sprinkled with pecans, and filled with pumpkin cream:


My dislike of pumpkin is not a secret.  Pumpkin pie.  Pumpkin oreos.  Pumpkin spice latte.  Blech.  Not my cup of tea.  All the same, I always try everything at least once.

So I tried the donut.  Objectively, I can see how a pumpkin lover would enjoy it.

Me?  I preferred the scone.


Portage Grounds
5501 W Irving Park Rd
Chicago, IL 60641
(773) 930-3693
http://www.portagegrounds.com/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!