Chicago: Dove's Luncheonette

I didn't want CK to take time off work, so I promised to spend the weekend with her and the weekdays with Queen G.  My sister's interview at the University of Chicago was on Monday.  After my sister and CK left that morning, I packed up all our luggage and hopped on the bus to Queen G's place.

We sat around a bit just catching up before meeting up with Goddess C for lunch.  I wanted to do Edzo's, but the universe really didn't seem to want me to go because Edzo's is closed on Mondays.  Argh.

Instead, we did Dove's Luncheonette in Wicker Park, which Queen G had been dying to try:


Dove's Luncheonette is essentially an hipster-ized Tex-Mex diner:


There's really no other way to explain it.

We started with the roasted romanesco ($7):


Now this was salad done right.  Broccoli romansco dressed with pipian verde (pumpkin seed sauce) and fried lemons.  Fried lemons.  Creamy and tangy with a bit of a crunch.  So good.

One of the daily specials was blood sausage and grits ($9).  How could we possibly turn that down?:


I used to hate grits, but since having a few amazing grits experiences, I'm now a fan.  It has to be done well though.  And Dove's does it well.  So well.

For those of you who don't know, I love egg yolks with an all-consuming passion.  It is so precious to me that I hate to lose even a smidgen of it.  My preferred method of eating egg yolks is to simply pop the whole thing in my mouth.  How else can you guarantee catching every single drop of the liquid gold?  Because my girls know me so well, they let me take one of the egg yolks.

I love my friends.

Anyway, I digress.  Apparently the most popular dish at Dove's is its chicken fried chicken ($15):


I'm not surprised.  Just look at it.  It's beautiful.  Perfectly crispy buttermilk fried chicken smothered in chorizo verde gravy and sprinkled with sweet peas and green beans.  I was this close to picking up the plate and licking it clean.

Dove's Luncheonette is the perfect addition to the Publican and Avec family.  Seemingly simple dishes prepared with a loving flair, super friendly staff, and just an overall comfortable atmosphere.

It wasn't Edzo's, but I didn't mind one bit.


Dove's Luncheonette
1545 North Damen Ave
Chicago, IL 60622
(773) 645-4060
http://www.doveschicago.com/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!