Thailand: Riverfront Restaurant

After Bang Pa-In Palace, AG's family took us to this little restaurant on the river.  Literally.  It was floating on the river:


Again, AG's uncle and aunt ordered up storm while CK and I watched in horror (the good kind, of course).

There were fish cakes:


And various Thai sauces to dip them in:


Of course there was tom yum:


I think we had tom yum just about every meal we had in Thailand.  Whether that's because it's such a central Thai dish or because AG's family knows it's AG's favorite is anyone's guess.

I personally didn't mind.  I love the sourness of the soup.  If only it didn't have so much debris in it:


While the shrimp was certainly edible, a lot of the aromatics in the soup weren't.

One of my favorite Thai soups is the tom kha gai:


The coconut tempers both the sourness and spiciness:


The veggies that followed turned out to be my favorites of the meal.  Surprise surprise.  I know.  I don't even know who I am anymore.

There was on choy:


There was this octopus dish:


Okay, so this wasn't really a veggie dish, but I see pieces of some kind of squash on there, so I'm calling it one.  It's my blog.  I can do whatever I want.  Nyeh nyeh.

I was really surprised to taste salted duck egg in the dish.  Normally, I'm not a fan.  I typically shy away from foods that have a gritty texture to them.  Salted duck egg is a prime example of that.  However, the egg yolk in this dish actually made the sauce somewhat creamy and interesting and delicious.  Leave it to the Thais to find a way to make salted duck egg palatable.

This veggie dish was so freakin' good:


I don't know what kind of vegetable it was exactly, but the salted fish cooked with it made it super savory and super yummy.

We left the restaurant stuffed to the brim and sporting a few mosquito bites that weren't there when we first arrived.  Or at least I did.  Asian mosquitoes love me.  I've collected so many mosquito bumps over the last couple of weeks that my legs are rather gross to look at.

I'm swollen enough as it is!  Leave me alone, stupid mosquitoes!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!