Taiwan: Guan Hai Ca Lou

A family friend asked me to bring the sunglasses she forgot in the States back to Taiwan for her.  The handoff took place at Chef Ahji's new restaurant at Danshui's Fishermen's Wharf:


Apparently Guan Hai Ca Lou had only been opened for a few months.  It was very...monochrome inside:


I left the ordering entirely to my family friend and her husband.  Even my dad took a backseat.  Besides what's on the menu, you can also wait for dim sum carts to come around and order directly of them.

AG, CK, and I just watched in horror as the food kept on coming.  I don't even remember half of the things we ate that night.

There was fried noodles:


And fried rice:


There must have been something special in the rice, but I don't remember.  Heh.

There was shrimp in shaoxing wine:


And lots of dim sum dishes like almond shrimp rolls:


Fried dumplings:


There was fruit kimchi, which really tickled my father:


He wants to try to recreate it at home.  It's made with pumpkin juice and pineapple.  Really interesting.

There was the usual steamed spareribs:


Phoenix claws:


Steamed meatballs:


Shumai:


Steamed shrimp dumplings:


BBQ pork buns:


Rice rolls in a clay pot:


Steamed shrimp paste on some kind of Taiwanese squash:


Veggies (I honestly don't remember seeing this on the table):


And a seafood and tofu clay pot:


The tofu was particularly scrumptious.

Out of everything we ate, what really stood out were the kimchi and the tofu in the clay pot.  Everything else was good (you can taste how the ingredients are of high quality), but not particularly special.

I learn how to make Chinese food from Chef Ahji on Youtube, so it was cool to actually say that I've eaten at his restaurant.  Apparently he's big on environmentalism and not wasting when cooking.  I can stand by that.  Go Chef Ahji!


阿基師觀海茶樓
新北市淡水區觀海路83號
02-2628-7777

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!