Chicago: Uru Swati

I knew I couldn't leave Chicago without hitting up Devon St for Indian food.  My immigration clinic's attorney gave me the final push when she recommended a particular restaurant.  After rounding up a couple of girls, we met up at Uru Swati:


Much cheerier interior than I expected:


The menu was a bit intimidating, but we managed to narrow it down.  We started with a plate of pani puri:


There were seven, perfect for the seven of us.  We had a lot of fun filling the little pillows with potatoes, black chickpeas, tamarind chutney, and spiced water.

Then there was the samosa chaat:


Essentially samosa topped with chickpeas, potatoes, yogurt, and chutneys, the samosa chaat was super yummy.

We saw the paper masala dosa on the table next to us and we couldn't resist.  I mean, really, how cool is this?:


A two-foot long lentil and rice crepe with spiced potatoes?  Come to mama.

When EK said she wanted okra, I might have laughed out loud.  Briefly.  It was totally unintentional though!  I didn't even realize that I'd laughed until there was a sudden silence at the table.  I have no idea why I did it because the bhindi masala was certainly no laughing matter:


The okra turned out to be my favorite.

We wanted eggplant, so the baigan bhartha was the way to go:


To break up all the veggie-ness, we added the matar paneer for some cheesy love:


To complete the meal, we got us some garlic naan:


Everything we ordered was spot on.  Only Indians can make a vegetarian meal so enjoyable.

Walking down Devon St feels like being transported to another city altogether.  If you're looking for good, reasonably priced Indian food, Uru Swati is the place to go.


Uru Swati
2629 W Devon Ave
Chicago, IL 60659
(773) 262-5280
http://www.uru-swati.net/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!