Chicago: BadHappy Poutine Shop

I love all things potatoes.  Period.  So when I found out that a restaurant dedicated entirely to poutine had opened up in Chicago, I was chomping at the bit to go.

I may have innocently-kind-of-forcefully brought JH and EK to BadHappy Poutine Shop after church one Sunday:


The place was a lot smaller than I imagined, but I love the open kitchen:


The chef was also very friendly and came out to chat with us.

At each table were pens and little ordering slips (hooray for posed shots!):


I'd forgotten that on Sundays, BadHappy serves brunch rather than its usual array of poutines.  I was disappointed, not gonna lie, but luckily there was still one poutine on the menu.

BadHappy is "BYOV" on Sundays.  They provide the bottomless mixers, you provide the alcohol.  We didn't have any alcohol, but were happy enough with the BadBloody and the Mudslide Milkshake on their own:


I'm not a tomato juice person, so I stuck with the milkshake, which was super thick and was basically like eating ice cream.  Yum.

Of course we had to get the poutine Benny ($12):


The fries were nice and thick and came smothered in cheese curds, a poached egg, foielendaise sauce, house bacon, and truffle mayo.  Whew!  As you can probably imagine, it was deliciously rich.

We also got the chicken and waffles ($10):


Something kept tasting off to me and it wasn't until I re-checked the menu that I realized what it was: maple-tobasco glaze.  Wut?  All my friends know that I dislike tobasco (understatement of the year), so it's no wonder I balked at the taste.  EK, on the other hand, loved the glaze.

Super chill joint.  I really wish I'd been able to try all the crazy poutine combos that they have, but alas, my time in Chicago is drawing to a close.  I leave it to my Chicago friends to go and report back to me!


BadHappy Poutine Shop
939 N Orleans St
Chicago, IL 60610
(312) 890-2165
http://www.badhappypoutineshop.com/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!