Chicago: bopNgrill

I have this nasty problem of never being physically able to sleep in when I can.  Which is why I found myself awake this morning, the day after my last final, at 7:30am.  What the hell?

Anyway, since I spontaneously took my take-home final on Sunday instead of Wednesday and am now officially on winter break, I find myself with a lot of free time.  At least compared to the last week, which was spent sequestered inside my apartment in my pjs either studying...or finding excuses not to study.

After taking my first final Friday morning, I just couldn't generate any motivation to study.  My roommate, CK, apparently felt the same way.  She'd just finished two back to back finals and had until Monday before her last one.  We decided to take a break by grabbing lunch.  Somehow our lunch plans morphed into a drive-to-Evanston-and-pick-up-our-box-of-goguma (Korean sweet potatoes)-from-CK's-parents-and-while-we're-at-it-let's-stop-by-bopNgrill all day affair:


I've been wanting to try bopNgrill for a while now.  In fact, it's on my list of restaurants to eat at before I graduate.  Unfortunately, it's just way too far for a casual meal.  You really need to have a legit reason to go all to way to Evanston to be able to visit bopNgrill.  Luckily, we had one.  GOGUMA.  Love that stuff.  Roasted.  CK and I are addicted.  All it took was a plaintive phone call to CK's mother and magically we had a box waiting for us overnight.

We arrived at bopNgrill at a rather awkward time in the day.  Too late for lunch, but too early for dinner.  That meant the place was relatively empty:


I was in such a hurry to escape from the confines of my apartment that I forgot to grab my camera.  Hence the blurry phone pics.  Sorry about that.  But I think the awesomeness of the food still comes through...hopefully.

We got the kimchi fries, which were AMAZING:


Kimchi and nacho cheese.  Who knew?  And the fries were perfectly fried too.

We definitely couldn't go to bopNgrill and not try the kimchi burger:


Kimchi...cabbage...bacon...fried egg...gochujang aioli...ohmyGAWD.  So ridiculously good.  And juicy.

We probably shouldn't have, but we couldn't resist giving the brownie egg rolls a whirl:


That was a heart attack waiting to happen.  I couldn't eat more than half of my half.  Which makes a fourth.  See?  I can still do math...

We saw someone else order the Triple Bypass, which looked like a monster in itself.  It took two skewers to hold that beast together.  Three patties, three onion rings, three mozzarella sticks and if that wasn't enough, they toss in some bacon, a fried egg, grilled onions, bbq sauce, and mayo.  Guh.

So many burgers sounded good to me.  I really wish bopNgrill was closer so that I could go back to try all of them.

Even though it was only CK and myself, I'm still counting this outing as December's Burger Bonding.  Sorry, Stacker.  Sorry, Goddess C.  Sacrifices must be made for the greater good.  But not to worry!  There's always January!


bopNgrill
1903 Church St
Evanston, IL 60201
(847) 733-7102
http://www.bopngrill.com

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!