Chicago: Longman & Eagle

I'd been wanting to try out Longman & Eagle for brunch for a while, so opportunist that I am, I used my friend's visit over NYE weekend as an excuse to go:



According to my roommate, Longman & Eagle is the home of the best bartender in the city. Since I don't drink, I'm going to just take her word for it. Judging by the lack of space at the bar on an early Sunday afternoon, lots of other people might also agree with her:



Eating at restaurants with other people is a bit of a game of chance. There are times when I go in knowing which dishes I want to try. If things work out, the person(s) I'm dining with will: 1) want to share and 2) want to order what I'm interested in trying.

I don't have to worry when I go out with my sister because she knows how the game works and even better, she knows what I like. Going out with my roommate is pretty much the same because we have similar tastes and like me, she believes in sharing in order to sample more things. Going out with other friends, though, is tricky. Even if they're willing to share, I have to gauge what their top choices are and how I should adjust my order accordingly.

Luckily, my friend and I were on the same page. I ordered the wild boar sloppy joe, crispy sage and onion with pickled jalapeño and beef fat fries:



Beef fat fries. Need I say more? The boar had an...interesting taste that took a while for me to get used to, but it slowly grew on me.

My friend ordered the sunny side duck egg hash with duck confit, onions, potatoes, and black truffle vinaigrette:



Totally on the same page! That was precisely the other dish I had my eye on. The duck meat was a little on the dry side, but the vinaigrette was superb and the hash was simply delicious.

Hooray for friends coming in to visit and a double hooray for sharing food!


Longman & Eagle
2657 N Kedzie Ave
Chicago, IL 60647
(773) 276-7110

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!