Oakland: Koryo Jajang

While I was housesitting again in Oakland last summer, Abby and UK came up and we all went to dinner at Koryo Jajang:


The menu was pretty simple and posted pretty prominently:


It being a Korean-Chinese restaurant, there was no panchan, but pickled daikon and onions instead:


We don't usually go for something like fried kimchi dumplings ($7.95), but we saw it on someone else's table and it looked really good:


Personally, I actually prefer my dumplings boiled.  And while we could've gone with the boiled option, there's just something really visually appealing about fried dumplings.

When it comes to Korean-Chinese cuisine, there are two dishes that go hand in hand.  There's the tang su yuk ($15.95 for pork) or sweet and sour:


And ja jang myun.  In this case, we went with the jeng ban ja jang ($14.95), which was two servings of essentially stir fried ja jang myun:


This dry version is much less saucy than the usual ja jang myun, but just as delicious.  Koryo Jajang's jeng ban ja jang came with pork and seafood.

Is Koryo Jajang the best Korean-Chinese food I've had in the Bay?  Not quite.  But it's solid and besides the service being quick, the prices are also super affordable.

I wish I had known about Koryo Jajang back in my college days.  Even though I didn't have a car then, I would've braved the long bus ride to get me some good ja jang myun.


Koryo Jajang
4390 Telegraph Ave, Ste B
Oakland, CA 94609
(510) 652-3900

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!