Taiwan: Gou Yi Xia

While we were in Taipei, Jiejie kept taking us to Japanese restaurants because she said Japanese food is so expensive in the States and so cheap in Taiwan.  One place that she took us to was Gou Yi Xia:


The interior was super cozy and intimate:


Probably not the best place for a large party.  I would say groups of four or less would be most ideal.  There were four of us and we ended up sitting on a skinny side table against the wall.

All the ordering was done by Jiejie via a tablet:


As people with limited data plans (especially while travelling abroad), we really appreciated how Gou Yi Xia made their WiFi info so front and center.  Beyond examining the WiFi password, I didn't really pay attention to the rest of the tablet features.  By which I mean that I didn't look at the menu.  So I had no clue what each dish was or how much they cost.

Thank goodness Gou Yi Xia has a picture menu on their Facebook page.  I'll do my best to match my photos to theirs.  Hopefully these prices are up to date though.  Hey, I'm doing my best alright?!

One of the appetizers Jiejie ordered was this martini glass of thinly sliced raw squid noodles with caviar (160 NT / $5.15):


Yes, noodles.  If you look carefully at the photo, you can see the individual squid strands.  So delicate and so delicious.

She also got a plate of tamagoyaki garnished with bonito flakes (100 NT / $3.25):


The shrimp sushi (380 NT / $12.25) was one of the pricier dishes and came beautifully presented:


One of the more interesting dishes was the stir-fried Matsusaka pork with mushrooms and some kind of veggie translated as white water snowflake stems (180 NT / $5.80):


The pork itself was overshadowed by the greens, which were surprisingly yummy.  (I say surprisingly because I'm a huge meat lover and typically disdain vegetables.)

The Matsusaka pork had its chance to shine, however, when Jiejie ordered it salt roasted (220 NT / $7.10):


The grilled flatfish on this donburi (280 NT / $9.05) was melt in your mouth delicious:


Whereas the roasted fourfinger threadfin (280 NT / $9.05) was flakier:


Jiejie knows that crispy pork intestines (180 NT / $5.80) are a weakness of mine:


And for dessert, we got the grilled mochi with Okinawa brown sugar (60 NT / $1.95):


Gou Yi Xia isn't considered cheap by Taiwanese standards and the portions are on the small side for the price point, but everything we had there was delicious.

While I probably wouldn't go back to Gao Yi Xia again, my perspective is a bit skewed.  As someone who visits Taiwan and doesn't live there, I have very limited time to squeeze in all that I want to eat whenever I go.  And there are so many delicious (and cheap) must eats in Taiwan that Gao Yi Xia sadly just doesn't make the cut.

Nothing personal, Gou Yi Xia


狗一下居食酒屋
台北市公館汀州路三段271號
02-2367-0860
http://dog-1.com.tw/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!