South Bay: Baja Cactus

When T and I were trying to come up with a dinner option after work one day back in September (yes, I know, I'm super behind, but what else is new?), I stumbled upon Baja Cactus on Yelp:


For a Thursday night, it was pretty quiet inside:


As per usual at Mexican restaurants, the meal started with some complimentary tortilla chips:


I have a problem with complimentary things.  The problem being that I tend to gorge myself on them and end up full before the actual entree even arrives.  This is partially why my life motto is "Eat through the pain."  Because if I don't, I will only be able to eat main courses as leftovers.  And I'm not about that.  You gotta enjoy food while it's hot.

T and I shared the chile verde ($16.50):


While the pork was tender and the sauce freakin' delicious, I was most excited about the nopalitos con huevo ($12.50):


Because yassssssss!  I love cactus, especially in omelette form.  My usual go-to for nopales is La Milpa, but they only serve it at breakfast.  Baja Cactus serves it ALL DAY.

We asked for corn tortilla, but they accidentally brought us flour: 


I was so enamored with the nopalitos that I didn't give a fig.

Even though we couldn't finish everything and had to pack a lot of leftovers, T wasn't about to leave without some flan ($3.99):


I'm not a huge flan eater (the eggy texture gets to me), but even I have to admit that the flan at Baja Cactus is pretty damn good.

We loved Baja Cactus so much that we went back around two weeks later with CV.  This time I wanted to try the mole ($16.50):


It was good, but a bit too sweet for my tastes.

CV went with a burrito de chili verde ($12.99):


While T ordered the chimichanga with carne asada ($14.50):


Now that I've discovered Baja Cactus and its ALL DAY nopalitos con huevo, I want to tell everyone about it.  I can't believe it's been under my nose all this time...and it's even closer to my house than La Milpa!  What have I been doing with my life?!

Thank you, Baja Cactus, for existing.  You'll be seeing me around whenever my craving for nopales kicks in.

Which means often.


Baja Cactus
338 S Main St
Milpitas, CA 95035
(408) 263-9455

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!