South Bay: La Milpa

My parents had a dinner engagement on Saturday, leaving my sister and me to fend for ourselves. Always resourceful, I called up my ahyi and asked if she wanted to grab some dinner. She did.

After some talk about finally driving all the way out to inner Richmond (or Alameda or Oakland...I wasn't picky) for some Burma Superstar, negotiations fell through and we ended up at my second choice, La Milpa. Which was actually my first choice. Burma Superstar was just a bit of wishful thinking, but a person can dream, right?

I have some fond memories of La Milpa, stemming back from my high school days. I remember it getting pretty busy at night, but even I was surprised by the groups of people huddled around the front door and clogging up the waiting area inside. Luckily, I wasn't daunted by the potential wait and within 20-30 min, we were seated.

Free chips abound:



My ahyi ordered the taco salad:



My sister and I decided to split two dishes. I always order the same thing (the chimi with beef), so I let my sister choose this time. She wanted the large burrito:



The large burrito was...large. It was stuffed full with shredded beef, rice, beans, cheese, tomatoes, guacamole, and sour cream:



I'm ashamed to say this, but I was full after eating half of that gargantuan burrito. So full that I couldn't really enjoy our second dish.

We did manage to clear the salad that came with it though:



Oh, my poor neglected chile colorado:



The chile colorado came with a choice of flour or corn tortillas, before I could even open my mouth, the server said "flour" and walked away. Ah well, I didn't mind either way. The beef was heavily flavored and a little bit on the salty side, but it went well with the rice and beans.

We didn't exactly get the most patient server, but it was a pretty busy night and he was a bit of an anomaly. But the food is legit (La Milpa's loyal customer base can attest to that). My favorite dish is still the chimi, so I'll be getting that the next time I go back.


La Milpa
107 N Milpitas Blvd
Milpitas, CA 95035
(408) 945-6540

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!