San Francisco: Black Sugar

The hotel Kaiser booked for its scholarship dinner weekend in the city just happened to be around the corner from Black Sugar...which just happened to officially open the day we checked in.  To celebrate, they were offering 50% off all drinks the entire weekend.

We figured it was a sign that God wanted us to have pearl tea.  Every day.

After watching a couple episodes of "Forensic Files", we whipped off our hotel bathrobes, grudgingly pulled our jeans back on, and then scuttled across the street to join all the other Asians in line:


The young man at the cashier was super friendly and spent a lot of time explaining the options to people.  We knew what we wanted, so we just ordered.  (We're antisocial like that.)

Abby got the house black milk tea (full price $3.95 + $0.50 for pearls), while I got the black sugar fresh milk (full price $4.45 with pearls included):


Black Sugar made it really clear by their signage that they use Straus organic milk for their drinks.  Now, I've never had Straus milk, but even I know it's fancy.  Like glass bottle fancy.

Too bad I'm so plebeian that it's all wasted on me.  I can't tell the difference between regular milk and Straus milk.  It just tastes like...milk.

Sorry, not sorry.  I loved the drink though!

We enjoyed Black Sugar so much that we went back again the next day with T and CV when they came up to the city.  This time, Abby ordered the roasted oolong milk tea (full price $3.95 + $0.50 for pearls) and I got the matcha mango latte (full price $4.95 + $0.50 for pearls):


I don't know why I ordered that when I hate matcha.  Wait.  I do know.  I did it for the Gram.

Since we were going to check out of the hotel on Sunday before Black Sugar opened for business, in order to take full advantage of the grand opening 50% off special, Abby and I squeezed in another pearl tea run that night after the scholarship award dinner.  The dinner ended later than expected, so we cut it pretty close to Black Sugar's closing time.

This time, we both double fisted:


We drank one that night and saved the second for the next morning.  As my father always says, you gotta plan ahead.

We knew we loved the black sugar fresh milk, so we each got one of those.  For our second drink, we both wanted to try something new.  Abby went with the matcha taro latte (full price $4.95).  I got the pear green tea (full price $3.95 + $0.50 for lychee jelly).  The taro was nice, but the matcha overpowered it for me.  The pear was bright and refreshing and overall pleasing despite my dislike of green tea.  Ultimately, however, my favorite was still the black sugar fresh milk.

Black Sugar has solid pearl tea and I highly recommend it.  The price is a bit steep, but that seems to be the average these days.

Sigh.  I remember when pearl tea used to be $1.50.  Those were the good old days.  No Straus milk for sure.


Black Sugar
320 O'Farrell St
San Francisco, CA 94102
(415) 521-2022
https://www.blacksugarboba.com/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!