South Bay: Thien Long Restaurant

A while back, CK and I tried this turmeric fish sizzling platter at Pho Kim Long.  I enjoyed it immensely, so of course I had to tell T about it.  She only scoffed in response and said that another restaurant made it better.

For my birthday this year, T took me there:


We went straight after work that Wednesday evening.  T, CV, CK, and I were able to easily snag a table:


The meal started with a sesame cracker:


Which came handy when we ran out of rice paper:


Accompanying the rice paper was the essential plate of rice noodles and greens:


Both were accoutrements for the main dish:


Even though we were there for the fish, we ended up getting half and half.  Half grilled fish and half stir fried beef and onion ($26.95).  One order was supposed to be for two people, but it was definitely enough for four.

From all the goodies on the table, we made spring rolls and dipped them into either fish sauce or this very funky shrimp sauce:


We weren't sure that would be enough food at first, so we also ordered crispy chow fun with beef and vegetables ($11.50):


I'd never seen anything like this before.  The chow fun noodles were stacked into bricks and then deep fried.  While it was delicious, the novelty of it quickly paled in comparison to the awesomeness of the grilled turmeric fish.  I couldn't stop eating it...though part of the appeal might be due to my obsession with making spring rolls.  

Something about packing things into neat little rolls just really soothes my soul.

I have been recommending Thien Long to everyone I can think of who would be interested.  A tip of any of you thinking of going: skip the beef and just get the fish.  It's the same price and yet the fish is much more interesting.  And delicious.  So very delicious.


Thien Long Restaurant
3005 Silver Creek Rd #138
San Jose, CA 95121
(408) 223-6188

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!