South Bay: Terún

While my parents were visiting Taiwan in February, my sister and I texted our Ahyi to see if she wanted to hang out.  Our options were to go out for dinner or stay home to watch the Winter Olympics (curling, specifically).  We ended up doing both, dinner out on Saturday and curling marathon on Sunday.

Ahyi chose the restaurant.  My sister and I were concerned when she told us she had made reservations.  In our minds, reservations = fancy place = expensive.  Ahyi has a track record of taking us to fancy places and ordering up a storm.  It is forever my sister's and my mission to rein her in as much as possible.

I rarely venture to Palo Alto, so Terun was completely new to me:


The restaurant seemed small until the hostess led us into a covered patio dining room in the back:


Ahyi is a big lover of appetizers, so that's where the battle began.  I managed to reason her down from the entire small plates menu to just three.  There was the cavolfiori gratinati or baked cauliflower au gratin ($13), which was my sister's favorite of the night:


Ahyi's favorite, the farro and calamari ($13):


And my personal favorite, the grilled romaine salad ($13):


I know, a salad.  Relax.  Hell has not frozen over.  (Yet.)  I have been known to enjoy vegetables from time to time.  This particular salad came with avocado, parmigiano, and this light lemon dressing that I loved.

With so many appetizers, we managed to talk Ahyi into being more conservative with the mains.  We ordered the San Daniele pizza ($20):


It was topped with prosciutto, cremini mushrooms, mozzarella, arugula, shaved parmigiano, and truffle oil.  The pizza was delicious, however the way it was presented left us very confused.  The pizza itself was cut into slices before the toppings were added.  While this makes for lovely Instagram photos, it's not nearly as conducive to divvying up and eating.  We made it work though.

The scialatielli ($18) consisted of homemade pasta, porcini mushrooms, parmigiano, rosemary, and olive oil:


Not the most memorable dish of the meal.  All I remember is the noodles being a bit...limp.

Ahyi's other weakness is dessert.  After another heated battle, we scaled our order down to two.  There was the caramel gelato with sea salt and olive oil ($8):


And the lemon panna cotta with fresh berries ($9):


Both were freakin' delicious, but the panna cotta might have edged out the gelato by a smidge.  I'm just a sucker for lemon.

All in all, a great meal.  Really attentive service, laid back atmosphere, and pretty damn good fare.  Most likely I will never make it one of my regular haunts, but I'll certainly think back on it fondly.


Terún
448 California Ave
Palo Alto, CA 94306
(650) 600-8310
http://www.terunpizza.com/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!