San Francisco: Amawele's South African Kitchen

My coworkers and I had an all-day legal training in the city last month.  We were on our own for lunch, so we decided to head to the nearby Rincon Center food court where we would have multiple options to choose from.  Once there, we split to divide and conquer.

After circling the food court, I was most curious about Amawele's South African Kitchen:


My coworker AC agreed with me.  She asked if I wanted to share something, but I warned her that the portion sizes looked small in Yelp photos.  We ultimately decided to place our orders solo.

That was a mistake.

I ordered the Cape Malay rice with chicken ($9):


I barely finished a third of it before I had to admit defeat.

...Most likely because I'd had two bagels during the morning training sessions.  (What?  They were free!) 

I know nothing about South African cuisine, but given how it's also a melting pot of culture, I probably shouldn't have been surprised to find that the rice tasted distinctly like curry.  The chicken chunks were sizable, the yogurt added a nice creamy element, and the raisins brought a burst of sweetness. 

Amawele's is the perfect place to grab a quick lunch on a work day to-go.  Portion sizes are huge, service is quick, and the food is delicious.  For under $10, that was quite a meal.  I was so full that I finished the rest of the day in a food coma fog.  I honestly didn't hear a word our last trainer said. 


Amawele's South African Kitchen
101 Spear St
San Francisco, CA 94105
(415) 536-5900
http://www.amawelessouthafricankitchen.com/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!