Tri-City: Shanghai Flavor

When my friend AT told me that one of her family's favorite restaurants is Shanghai Flavor in Fremont, I wondered why I'd never heard of it before given that my family spends a lot of time in that area.

I was supposed to go together with AT, but it was taking too long to schedule something, so I enticed my parents there after work one day:


We walked through the door to find the restaurant completely empty.  It took us aback for a second, but we decided to have faith and stick it out.  Soon, the tables began to fill:


We started off by munching on the complimentary peanuts:


We usually don't get spring rolls (4 for $4.95), but my mother was very curious:


No regrets.  Freshly fried, the spring rolls were hot and delicious.

The spicy pork with soy bean sauce noodle ($7.95) was decent, but not exactly exciting:


The noodles were good, but the sauce wasn't quite what we expected.

The sauteed pork intestine ($9.95), on the other hand?  Magical:


So savory and yummy.  A bit on the salty side, but fantastic with rice.

Speaking of rice, the Shanghai-style veggie and salted pork rice ($8.95) was awesome:


Definitely a must-order.

The Shanghai xiao long bao ($7.95) was just alright:


To cap off the meal, we got the fried "flour roll" ($4.50):


You can choose to get it steamed instead...but why would you?  Fried bread with condensed milk?  Sweet dreams are made of these.

My family loved Shanghai Flavor so much that we went back three days later with my sister and Ahyi.  This time, we tried a few different things.

Such as the Shanghai smoked fish ($6.95):


And the Shanghai-style sweet and sour pork ribs ($10.95):


The pieces of ribs were small, but oh-so-delicious.

Also delicious was the noodle with sesame sauce ($6.95):


We let Ahyi choose the vegetable dish.  She tried to order the Shanghai vegetable combination, but the boss lady shut her down by whispering that it's "for white people".  HAHAHAHAHA!!!  My sister and I laughed until there were tears in our eyes.  Thanks to the boss lady, we were spared the white people veggies and instead got respectable Chinese veggies:


It wasn't on the menu, so I'm going to guess that it's the "seasonal vegetable" option.

The best discovery we made at Shanghai Flavor actually happened on a later visit...and I didn't take a picture.  Sorry.  But take my word for it.  Get the noodle in onion sauce ($6.95).  Yes, it's just noodles and onions.  Yes, it's a bit oily.  But don't be fooled by its simplicity and don't be put off by the oiliness.  That's what's so delicious about it.  All that pork lard.  Yasssssssssss Lord.

Do I strongly recommend Shanghai Flavor?  Yes, yes I do.  The food is great, the prices are great, and the service is friendly, yet no nonsense.  They'll tell it to you straight at Shanghai Flavor.  They won't ever let you accidentally order Chinese food for "white people."  Thank you, boss lady, for looking out for us.

My family is definitely working on becoming regulars.  It's gonna happen.

Thanks for the rec, AT!


Shanghai Flavor
46132 Warm Springs Blvd, Ste 165
Fremont, CA 94539
(510) 353-1013

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!