Oakland: C & M Bistro

Taking advantage of Bank of America's "Museums on Us", I spent a Sunday morning back in August with my sister and her friend KY at the Legion of Honor.  General admission was free and we slowly made our way through the galleries before grabbing lunch at Shanghai Dumpling King.

After watching a couple episodes of "The Great British Baking Show" at my sister's apartment, I headed back across the Bay to Oakland to meet with my parents for dinner.

My father was in the mood of roast duck, so I figured we could go to Gum Kuo in Chinatown.  As we were walking through the plaza, I pointed my father in the right direction and told him to look for the restaurant with the ducks hanging in the window.

I should have checked the sign before following him in:


The second I walked through the door, I sensed that something was off:


It wasn't until we were seated that I realized no, Gum Kuo did not have its interior remodeled.  We were in the wrong restaurant!  Instead of Gum Kuo, we were next door at C & M Bistro.  Too embarrassed to get up and leave, we decided to suck it up and stay.

Turns out, C & M Bistro doesn't offer BBQ rice plates at dinner.  And ordering a roast duck (either whole or half) would cost more than my dad was willing to spend, considering he could find it elsewhere for cheaper.  So that meant no duck for my poor father.

Instead, we ordered from C & M Bistro's $25 for three dishes menu.  It came with complimentary soup:


Pretty basic, but not bad.

For our three dishes, we got the salt and pepper pork chop:


The chicken, salty fish, and tofu clay pot:


And sizzling beef:


C & M Bistro wasn't part of the original plan, but it wasn't all that bad.  Service was brisk, as is usual for Chinese restaurants in Chinatown.  The food was decent, though the selection wasn't super extensive.  I can see it as a good option for a quick lunch during the work week, but I probably wouldn't go back for dinner again.

I definitely wouldn't go there for roast duck.

To avoid errors like this in the future, I'll make sure to walk in front of my father from now on.


C & M Bistro
388 9th St, Ste 181
Oakland, CA 94607
(510) 338-3776

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!