Berkeley: Gypsy's Trattoria Italiana

Back in early November 2014, I dragged my sister with me to a work event in Richmond one Saturday.  On the way home, to compensate for a day of volunteering without food (it ran out before we could get any), we stopped by Berkeley for late lunch/early dinner.

We weren't in the mood for anything fancy.  Instead, we decided to take the nostalgic route and eat at Gypsy's in the Asian Ghetto:


Back in my Berkeley days, whenever my parents visited me at school, my father always wanted to eat at Gypsy's.  I tried to introduce him to other options, but he always circled back.  I gave up after a while.

Some things never change.  Gypsy's is one such thing.  Walking through its door was like walking into my past.  Besides a shinier menu posted on the wall, everything else was the same as I remembered:


For old time's sake, I ordered my old go-to, Gypsy's chicken ($8.49):


Penne comes together with chicken, garlic, mushrooms, Parmesan cheese, and cream sauce in a lovely Gypsy's classic.  Ah, the taste of my childhood.  Well, college-hood.

My sister got the pollo gorgonzola ($8.49):


Tri-color tortellini, chicken, garlic, gorgonzola cheese, and pink sauce...nothing fancy, but oh-so-good.

Both came with a slice of bread with roasted garlic on top.  The garlic may look disproportional to the bread, but just spread it out.  It's soft and warm and yummy.

Though prices have gone up a bit, Gypsy's still offers solid dishes in generous portions for reasonable prices.  Super fast too.  We barely sat down after placing our order at the counter when our number was called.

Keep up the good work, Gypsy's!


Gypsy's Trattoria Italiana
2519 Durant Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94704
(510) 548-4860
http://www.gypsysitaliana.com/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!