San Francisco: Fat Angel

T wanted to get dinner at State Bird Provisions.  Thing was, we didn't have reservations.  Since we couldn't get a table, we turned the corner and had first dinner at Fat Angel:


That's right.  First dinner.  Meaning we had a second one.  Before I get too ahead of myself, let me refocus.

Fat Angel had a woodsy hipster pub feel:


We wanted to save space for our second dinner, so of course we ordered more than we probably should have.  The four of us started with some maple bacon butter:


At first, I wasn't sure how I felt about the butter.  The savoriness of the bacon was there, the sweetness of the maple was there...and after a few nibbles, it all grew on me.  So much that when we finished all the bread and our server brought us an unsolicited refill, I wanted to hug her:


We wanted to try a flatbread, so we selected the roasted red grape, walnut, proscuitto, and gorgonzola one:


I was so excited about the roasted grapes that I failed to notice the gorgonzola tacked at the end of the description.  When I smelled the blue cheese, I was taken aback.  Not as badly as CL was though.  She refused to touch the flatbread whereas I made myself eat the edge pieces where the cheese was less concentrated.  Blue cheese aside, the grapes and the prosciutto made a great combination of flavors.

CL wanted to try the chicken pot pie:


It came with roast chicken, carrots, tarragon, and sherry.  CL has awesome taste (which is why we're such good friends).  The pot pie ended up being the best thing we had at Fat Angel.  The crust was great, the filling was delicious.  Yummy.

It seems like I'm always craving mac n' cheese:


The one at Fat Angel wasn't bad.  It's made with three kinds of cheese: gruyere, aged cheddar, and parmigiano-reggiano.  There was something in there that added a bit of a surprise kick, which was interesting.  It didn't really hit the spot for me though.  Sorry, Fat Angel.

So much for taking things light and saving stomach space for second dinner.  Why do I make friends who have just as little self-control as I do when it comes to food?

Sigh.


Fat Angel
1740 O'Farrell St
San Francisco, CA 94115
(415) 525-3013
http://www.fatangelsf.com/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!