Malaysia: Wong Ah Wah Restaurant

CK and I tried to go to Jalan Alor twice.  The first time was a fail because of the downpour.  We got a second chance when we ended up in the Bukit Bintang area again.

Before walking over to Jalan Alor, we stopped at a fruit juice stall just outside of Bukit Bintang Plaza.  I saw mangosteen juice on the menu and just couldn't resist.  CK got soursop:


CK's soursop juice was a flop, but my mangosteen juice made me all sorts of happy...that is, until we asked for the bill.  $5 a cup.  American dollars.

Guh.

We were in shock for a good minute.  Then we thought about it.  It kinda does make sense, considering how many mangosteens it probably took to fill that cup.  The soursop on the other hand...totally not worth the 5 bucks.

Since it was our last day in Malaysia, CK and I had set aside just enough money for the taxi to the airport the next morning.  We didn't want to exchange any more currency, so we pooled together our remaining ringgits and calculated that we had enough for a decent dinner on Jalan Alor.

We seriously miscalculated with the juices, but that turned out to be a blessing in disguise.  Since we had no choice but to exchange more money, we no longer had to be so careful with how much we could spend on dinner.

Not gonna lie.  Make it rain jokes may have been traded.  I know, we're dorks like that.  It actually wasn't even all that much money.  (Probably around 10 or 20 bucks.)

Hellooooooo Jalan Alor:


We walked all the way to the end to reach Wong Ah Wah:


The first thing we ordered was W.A.W.'s grilled chicken wings:


One each really wasn't enough.  I don't think I've ever had chicken so well grilled.  Hot damn.  The skin is to die for.

CK wanted veggies so we asked our server to make a recommendation.  I don't remember what it was:


But I do remember that it tasted good.

Just not as good as the bamboo clams:


Who cares if we had juice already.  Bring on the juice!  I got orange:


CK got apple:


The color was a little suspicious to me.  Don't you think so too?

Since we had money to burn, we ordered the sang har mee, which is jumpo prawns on a bed of crispy noodles with a thick gravy:


Kinda meh for me.

Definitely check out Wong Ah Wah, but skip everything else and just pig out on chicken wings.  They're above and beyond everything else we tried there.

Lesson of the day: life's curveballs come in many shapes and cup sizes.


Wong Ah Wah Restaurant
No. 1 & 5 & 7 Jalan Alor
50200 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
03-2144-2463

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!