Thailand: Terminal 21

On our last day in Bangkok, AG's cousin took us around town.  She asked us what kind of shopping we were interested in and we told her honestly that all we were interested in was food.  She laughed and then brought us to Terminal 21, a giant shopping center.

Our first stop was the food court.  As we rode the escalator to the top floor, I noticed something very familiar to me:


Helloooooo San Francisco!  Besides the obvious giant replica of the Golden Gate Bridge, I also spotted the iconic Fisherman's Wharf sign and pier numbers.

I cracked up on the spot.  I couldn't help it.  Then I took a picture.

CK and AG weren't as amused.  They humored me by making all the appropriate noises, but headed straight for the food court itself:


Not that I blame them.  So many stations, each serving up something different.  To get your food court on, you have to buy coupons at the coupon counter.  (Don't worry about buying too many coupons.  You can sell them back later.)

Despite being a fancy shmancy food court in a posh shopping center, the food remained surprisingly cheap (generally about $2 per dish).  Thailand is awesome that way.

AG's cousin brought back some pan fried chive cakes:


Or at least I think they were chive.  I really enjoyed them, especially in the fragrant soy sauce they came with.

CK and I split a oyster omelette:


I thought oyster omelettes were a Taiwanese thing, but it turns out I found oyster omelettes throughout my travels in SE Asia.  The Thai version wasn't as...gooey as the Taiwanese one, but had a crispy edge.  And instead of a tangy red sauce, it came with fish sauce.  Completely different from the oyster omelettes I'm used to, but delicious all the same.

We also split a pad thai:


Maybe it's the Thai water, but pad thai tastes so much better in Thailand.

AG's cousin also let us try her fried fish:


Juice is a must in Thailand:


Super cheap and just about always fresh.  I got a coconut smoothie while CK got some kind of pineapple and kiwi mix (if I remember correctly).  I think a part of me was still expecting the typical coconut flavor, so I was a bit surprised when it tasted like straight coconut water.  Dumb, I know.  But I think I learned on this trip that I'm not a huge fan of fresh coconut water.

Our last meal in Thailand was a huge family reunion with AG's father's side of the family.  It felt socially inappropriate to bust out my camera during the meal, so you'll just have to take my word that dinner was great.

There was a fried minced catfish dish that blew my mind.  All I tasted was fried crispiness and I actually had to ask where the fish was.  Apparently the fish is so finely minced that it IS the fried crispiness.  So cool.

And as I mentioned in a previous post, AG felt that dinner wasn't enough, so we ended the night with AG's cousin and her husband at After You, eating honey toast.


Terminal 21
2,88 Sukhumvit Soi 19 (Wattana) Sukhumvit Rd
North Klongtoei, Wattana, Bangkok 10110, Thailand
02-108-0888
http://www.terminal21.co.th/

Comments

  1. ohh, is it onward to cambodia now?! can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. not quite done with thailand yet! still have phuket to go. then malaysia and singapore before cambodia...

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gah. never mind just come back to chicago. none of this is any use to me anyway. HMPHHHHHHHHHHH.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow... I defenitely gonna try these recepies in fact i have treid one which is looking pretty similar this one.The freid fish. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!