Chicago: Volare

My dear, dear high school friend, Nilala's mother and sister were in town for her white coat ceremony, so to celebrate we met up at Volare for dinner Saturday evening:


As we couldn't be seated until our entire party arrived, we were a bit late for our reservation.  Okay, very late for our reservation.  But the hostess was incredibly nice and had us seated almost immediately after our party was complete.

First we were brought a giant basket filled with two types of bread:


I knew what I wanted to order before I even got to the restaurant.  During snowpocalypse last winter, CK actually contemplated driving through the blizzard to get some of Volare's gnocchi in vodka sauce.  Since then, I've been very curious about it.  I mean, really, how good could gnocchi be?

I simply had to find out:


Apparently, very damn good.  My only complaint is that after a while...it got sort of...boring, especially for 16 bucks a plate.  Every bite was just ricotta dumpling with...sauce, albeit very good sauce, which didn't taste like alcohol at all.  On some level, I expected that, but the fear was still there, so I may or may not have threatened to never speak to CK again if the vodka sauce ended up tasting like vodka.  I'm a bit of a drama queen like that.

Given my extreme aversion to alcohol, I was very surprised to find that I enjoyed the tiramisu Nilala's sister surprised Nilala with.  Best tiramisu I've ever had.  Then again, I haven't had that many in my lifetime...

Anyway, I had a fabulous time with Nilala's family and friends.  We ranted, raved, and probably scared everyone sitting at the tables adjacent to us.  It's always a party when people from the Bay get together, especially people from Independence High School.  Woot woot!

Congratulations, Nilala, on getting your white coat!  I know you're going to kick med school ass and then come out THE BEST DOCTOR EVER.  And of course, a big thank you to you and your family for your overwhelming generosity (as usual).  Looking forward to more Chicago adventures with you!


Volare
201 E Grand Ave
Chicago, IL 60611
(312) 410-9900
http://www.volarerestaurant.com/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!