South Bay: Vit Dong Que

When T and CV told me about a duck porridge place, I was immediately intrigued.  Jiejie probably didn't have any strong feelings about duck porridge, but I shamelessly used her visit as an excuse to go to Vit Dong Que:


The four of us arrived pretty late at night, so the restaurant was quiet:


We let T and CV take care of the ordering since this was their hood.  Jiejie and I just sat back to wait for the food.

First came the appetizer, banh bot loc ($5.75):


These banana leaf bundles contained a clear tapioca dumpling stuffed with shrimp and pork:


They were certainly delicious, but once our half duck salad ($17.59) came, I had eyes for nothing else:


I'm going to say something that goes completely against everything I stand for, but it's the truth.  Here goes...the best part of this dish was actually the salad.

GASP.  I know.  Blasphemy, right?  But hear me out.  The duck was amazing.  So tender, so juicy.  But that salad dressing?  That dressing was bomb.  Tangy and slightly sweet, every bite of the salad was like a bright pop of flavor on my tongue.

Also freakin' amazing was the porridge with giblets ($5.50):


It was just so warm and savory and everything comforting in this world.

I am happy to announce that I have added a new restaurant to my list of favorites in the Bay.  Vit Dong Que, ladies and gentlemen, is a blessing.  The service is super friendly (there's one particular guy that's crazy nice) and the food is a revelation.

The parking lot is criminally tiny though.  So try to go at an off time to avoid the aggravation.  Oh, and bring cash!


Vit Dong Que
1143 Story Rd #190
San Jose, CA 95122
(669) 242-7131

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!