San Diego: Breakfast Republic

When Jiejie came to visit back in November, one thing on her wish list was to visit the San Diego Zoo.  CK and I decided to make it happen by taking her on a weekend trip down to SoCal.

The morning of Zoo Day started at Breakfast Republic for some much needed fuel:


The place was packed (as was expected for a popular brunch spot on a weekend), but we were able to get a table without waiting too long.

There were so many interesting options on the menu that we had trouble narrowing down our orders.  CK eventually decided on the shrimp and grits ($15):


In case she forgot what she was eating, Breakfast Republic thoughtfully wrote it on the plate.  The grits were made with gouda cheese and the shrimp cooked with hot sauce and sweet corn.  It also came with three eggs in any style.

The breakfast bacon mac 'n' cheese ($12) called to my fatty soul:


The mac was super creamy and was served in a skillet with three eggs.  I upgraded the bacon to Jurassic pork (additional $2), which was this thick cut bacon marinated and baked with paprika and brown sugar.  The bits of Jurassic pork added this lovely sweetness to every cheesy bite.

Jiejie, on the other hand, enjoyed her classic American breakfast ($11.50):


It included three eggs, a choice of sauce or bacon, house potatoes, and bread.

Normal people would've stopped there.  But we didn't.  Because we were on vacation, we decided to add on the Mr. Presley french toast ($12.50) to split as a sweet treat:


The toast was stuffed with creamy peanut butter and topped with bananas foster and bacon.  It was pretty freakin' amazing, but we were honestly so stuffed that by the time we got around to the french toast, each bite bordered on pain.

Everything at Breakfast Republic was very delicious.  While most breakfast places only give two eggs, I love that Breakfast Republic gives three.  As an avid egg lover, that's major bonus points in my book.  Growing up my parents always told me to limit myself to two eggs a day.  And even though I've never looked into whether there's any real health-related basis for that, I've been pretty good about sticking to their teaching.

Except for that morning at Breakfast Republic.  Knowing my love for yolks, CK gave me two of her three eggs.  So instead of my daily two, I walked out with five in my belly.

Sorry, Mom and Dad, but I have no regrets.  Just call me Gaston.

And that my friends, is how we entered the San Diego Zoo on the cusp of a food coma.


Breakfast Republic
2730 University Ave
San Diego, CA 92104
(619) 642-0299
https://www.breakfastrepublic.com/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!