San Francisco: Pho 2000

I'm back from a three week vacation in Taiwan and the Philippines!  ...And I can't post about it until I finish catching up on all my previous adventures.

Sigh.

Back in December (yes, December 2018, I'm that far behind), I dragged my family to volunteer at yet another of my work events in the city.  Seeing as the workshop was held at UC Hastings, I was hoping we could get Turtle Tower for dinner.  But Abby looked up another place that was supposed to have the best bun rieu in SF, so we ended up going to Pho 2000 instead:


The restaurant looked small, but there was an entire second floor of seating:


Upon opening the menu, we immediately zoned in on the bo tai chanh or beef carpaccio ($11.99):


We're obsessed with the bo tai chanh at My Canh.  We love the tanginess of the lime, the crunchiness of the peanuts, the sweetness of the fried shallots, and brightness of the basil.  We figured there was no way to go wrong with this dish.

We were wrong.  Pho 2000's bo tai chanh just...wasn't good.  It didn't come as loaded with ingredients as the one from My Canh does and the lime was distinctly missing.  We still killed the plate, but we were very disappointed.

Even though we weren't at Turtle Tower, I hadn't given up on my pho ga or chicken pho ($7.80 for a small):


It wasn't bad.

The star of the show, though, was definitely the bun rieu ($7.80 for a small):


Made with crab paste, shrimp paste, ground pork, egg, tomato, steamed pork loaf, and vermicelli noodles, the bun rieu was slightly sweet and quite hearty.

If you're a fan of bun rieu, don't pass on Pho 2000.  Service is fast, the bun rieu is great, and the price is cheap.  (Just make sure to bring cash.)  As for me, while I don't regret going to Pho 2000, I also wish we'd stuck to the plan in my head and went to Turtle Tower instead.


Pho 2000
637 Larkin St
San Francisco, CA 94109
(415) 474-1188
http://www.pho2000sf.com/

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!